Historic 1888 Jail
About
The 1888 Jail in Hot Springs is believed to be the oldest wooden jail in existence in South Dakota — and possibly in all 50 states. It's constructed entirely of pine 2x4 lumber laid flat and nailed together, with approximately 500 boards used to build all four walls, the floor, and the roof. To discourage escape, rows of #9-gauge wire were embedded between the layers of wood, and metal bars covered the windows.
The jail was completely forgotten after a local woman purchased it in 1910 and built her home around it. It wasn't rediscovered until 1982, when a man demolishing the old house found the jail hidden inside. Recognizing its significance, he donated it to the city, and it was moved to its current location in April 1983.
As for the famous guest — on the evening of November 12, 1895, Calamity Jane spent the night drinking heavily at the Bodega Saloon and creating such a disturbance that the Mayor directed the Police Chief to offer her a night's lodging at the jail to sleep it off. Whether it was this specific jail or the Town Hall is debated.
Photos